Tutorials: How To Make Your Own Counter Strike 1.6 Dedicated Server?
Author: 3JIou-TaTaPuH (20-05-2009, 21:25)
Tags: tutorial, server, admin
How To Make Your Own Counter Strike 1.6 Dedicated Server in 5 - steps.
The server at home, you don't know how much it is all simply. All that is necessary for you it is the computer at least with the following configuration:
** 2 Gb RAM
** 2.4 Ghz CPU
** Fast DSL internet connection
** installed CS 1.6 game or Standalone server downloaded by HLDS Update tool. I recommend separate installations for the server and for the gaming.
** know how to forward the necessary ports and to adjust firewall for our server.
** well and desire to make your own server, well still at least some brain cell's in u head.
1) You should download ready made dedicated server pack, for example, from here, than to extract archive contents to your CS folder (C:/Games/Counter-Strike). Once again I recommend use separate CS 1.6 game just for the server.
2) Adjust the a router and firewall (Port Forwarding)
3) For less lag, it is necessary to run server, in console mode, other way at standard GUI run process hlds.exe consumes many resources. How to run a server in a console mode.
4) Following step will be adjustment server requirements, and creation of server administrators.
How To Became Admin, Server Configuration
5) Run your server and test it. Add desirable plugins, mods, bots etc.
Home hosting Pros and Cons.
Home hosting has a bunch of Pros. but also it has some Cons. and here is the most important one:
1) If you want 24/7 server, your computer always must be turned on! So you need a separate PC with good configuration just for the server. And it should work 24/7.
2) If you'll start download something (run your torrent for example), server will start extremely lag, because it will reduce Internet (upload/download) speed. What means you need separate high speed Internet connection with wide upload/download bandwidth channel only for the server and another connection for your own necessities.
3) And one more important thing is a Static IP! Most ISPs (Internet service provider) provide dynamic IP addresses to home users, which means that the server's IP address changes every few days or even every few hours. What's a really bad because your players will not able to save your server IP on those favorite list.
Dedicated hosting Pros. and Cons.
Thats why I recommend you to order game server from special Game Hosting companies! Its has much more Pros. than Home hosting and the only main downsides of a dedicated hosting is:
1) Its not free it must be paid! (this is MAIN one)
2) You don't have a total control over content, software and hardware. You should manage server through FTP.
Members of Guests cannot leave comments.